Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Selecting a Reader

First, I would have her be beautiful,
and walking carefully up on my poetry
at the loneliest moment of an afternoon,
her hair still damp at the neck
from washing it. She should be wearing
a raincoat, an old one, dirty
from not having money enough for the cleaners.
She will take out her glasses, and there
in the bookstore, she will thumb
over my poems, then put the book back
up on its shelf. She will say to herself,
"for that kind of money, I can get
my raincoat cleaned". And she will.

(Ted Kooser)

Firsts

When does the first new car
get scratched
begin to rust
go to the junkyard

When does a new house
acquire spiders
witness arguments
conceive children
hear lies
when does the paint crack
when do the weeds grow

when does the new pan
first become stained
burn its first food.

(WRM)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first scratch is the deepest.

The first scratch cut me deeper then the car,
The possession which so defines who we are;
Sporty, family, grand tourer;
Large expensive ; mini poorer.
The perfection of the depth of shine,
I love my car; it's mine, mine, mine.
How dare you damage its perfection,
Demonstrating a rejection
Of this automotive creation,
The personal sublimation,
Reflecting who I think I am,
True, or just an advertising scam.
j

Anonymous said...

The Viewing.

Outside,at first sight
The house stole my heart;inside
I couldn't see it.
j

Anonymous said...

You write very well.