Wednesday, August 8, 2007

On a Lighter Note

Languor

I have come back to the couch -----
Hands behind my head,
Legs crossed at the ankles-----

to resume my lifelong study
of the ceiling and its river-like crack,
its memory of a water stain,

the touch of civilization
in the rounded steps of the moulding,
and the lick of time in the flaking plaster.

To move would only ruffle
the calm surface of the morning,
and disturb shadows of leaves in the windows.

And to throw open a door
would startle the fish in the pond,
maybe frighten a few birds from a hedge.

Better to stay here,
to occupy the still room of thought,
to listen to the dog breathing on the floor,

better to count my lucky coins,
or redesign my family coat of arms-----
remove the plow and hive, shoo away the bee.

(Billy Collins)




Free Waits

Take the free way
Take the freeway
The only way
To the free weights

Wait while I work out
With free weights
Fitness is free
Fitness freak

Freak out
Waits are free
Waits are frequent
On the freeway

Weights are free
You don't have
To own them
Lift them

Free me
To flee with thee
on the free way
to the free waits

And the free weights
And the blind dates
And slim wastes
Of slim waists

Slender pickings
From the date tree
Fat free
Flea free

(WRM)

No comments: